Monday, February 21, 2011

Growing straight trees.


I was always wondering how to make trees grow straight and tall. I know commertially trees are planted together so they will just grow straight up to reach for the maximum amount of sunlight. But I wanted to find out how can I do it myself and if there are any special tricks. It seems every time I try they are growing out at an awkward angle. I wanted to see if there is any way to train a tree to grow straight up, like a classic tree...

I went on a bunch of different Internet forums but did not really find any good advices except recommendations to insert a stake right next to the tree and tie in several places to straighten it up. I was hoping for something better, as sometimes they look real funny staked, not very straight at all with large gaps between where it's tied. But I guess, if you adjust the ties every so often to different spots, in time it will straighten.

That was what I ended up doing when I got my fig tree from a nursery in Morton, Wa. We will see how it does after a couple of years:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment