Sunday, January 23, 2011

Reforestation

We have a beautiful natural park near the place I live. I often go there for a walk with my dog and both of us enjoy it a lot.  A few days ago I saw a beautiful young conifer tree growing out of an old dead stump, and thought about resilience of nature and how you can maintain its beauty with a little care and preservation.  Some trees in this area are extremely old and may be a few hundred years old.  Some of them die natural death and sometimes fall during one of the rain storms.  Some of them are young and strong and grow replacing the old ones.  No one is clearing the fallen dead trees unless they fall on one of the trails.  I was thinking it would probably be a fire hazard if it was somewhere in California, but here in WA we should probably be more concerned with floods that with fire.  So I am glad it is the way it is - natural and wild beauty.  When you walk just a short distance inside, you forget you are in a city and feel like you are on a middle of wilderness far away from civilization...

No comments:

Post a Comment